Lentil Walnut Taco’sApril 18, 2017
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 4-6
Walnuts, rich in heart healthy mono saturated fats and antioxidants are a flavorful addition to protein & fiber rich lentils. Add in your favorite taco seasonings for a plant based taco style filling. Serve this filling
warm or at room temperature. Stuff it into romaine lettuce leaves, endive or wrap it up in napa cabbage leaves for a gluten & grain taco. Top it off with guacamole, chopped red onion and salsa
- 2 Tablespoons, coconut Oil
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 each Red or orange pepper, small dice
- 2 Cups French lentils, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 Tablespoon cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper for some spice
- Large handful Dill – coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sundried tomato, chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon natural salt
- Heat medium saute pan, add coconut oil and saute onion, garlic and peppers for a few minutes until softened.
- Add french lentils, stir to combine.
- Add cumin, oregano, chili powder, cayenne, sundried tomato and salt and saute for 2-3 minutes longer.
- Place toasted walnuts in food processor fitted with S blade and pulse a few times to break down into chunky pieces.
- Place lentils and vegetables in food processor fitted with S blade. Pulse a few times to combine, do not puree, you want filling to be chunky.
- Taste and add any extra seasonings as needed.
- Serve taco filling in your favorite wrap, taco shell or grain free lettuce wrap and add toppings.
Add in a generous handful of chopped fresh cilantro to filling. Top with chopped tomato , avocado or salsa