Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 4-6
Cauliflower rice is finely grated cauliflower that looks similar to rice and is a good substitute for those trying to lower their refined carbohydrate intake. Cauliflower rice is gluten
free, nutrient dense and much easier to digest for many people than grains. Although cauliflower rice is now available already done for you, it is so easy to make, fresher and more cost effective to do it yourself. If you have a handheld box grater or a food processor you can make cauliflower rice in about 10 minutes. Ready? Lets get cooking
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery, small dice
- 1-2 teaspoon ginger, fresh , finely grated
- 1 head Cauliflower, cut into quarters, leaving stem intact. (this will help keep it together)
- 1/2 cup Pine nuts, sliced almonds or hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon natural salt
- 1 head Kale, cleaned, stems removed and finely sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable stock
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
- Preheat a large saute pan that has a tight fitting lid, over medium heat.
- To rice cauliflower with a box grater, hold quartered cauliflower by core and grate cauliflower over large holes in grater, turning as needed. Discard the core. To rice cauliflower in food processor, remove core and add pieces to bowl of food processor fitted with S shaped metal blade, pulse until rice is finely minced. You may have to do this in stages so bowl doesn’t get overcrowded.
- Add coconut oil to pan, saute garlic, celery and ginger for 2 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Add cauliflower rice and pine nuts to saute pan, stir, add turmeric and salt. Stir to combine ingredients and lightly toast cauliflower.
- Slowly add in thinly sliced kale pieces, turning to incorporate into cauliflower until it is all added.
- Pour water or stock over the top, cover and turn heat to a low simmer.
- cook for 15 -20 minutes until cauliflower is softened and kale is cooked.
- Add scallions , stir and taste, adjusting seasoning as desired.
- Serve warm
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped golden raisins or currants to the dish for a slightly sweet flavor.
- Substitute kale for chopped swiss chard, spinach or arugula. If using spinach of arugula, add in towards the end of cooking.